The crazy ride...

7:00 PM Edit This 5 Comments »
The third installment...

SO I found out I was pregnant
Everyone knew...

Ok, you are all caught up!

So, Christmas break was over and on Monday January 6th, I went back to work. While I was getting ready, I noticed that I was spotting. I was a little freaked, but it wasn't awful, so I just made a mental note to tell my doctor when I called.
When I got to work, I knew I had to tell my boss right away that I was pregnant because I work at a school where we are trained in physical restraint and I was on the response team. Of course, she was so excited and supportive.

I called my Doctor's office, to make an appointment and to tell them about the spotting. They told me that spotting "could be" completely normal and just to watch it and call them if it got worse. My first appointment was made for January 18th.

The first week of me knowing I was pregnant was great. The spotting stopped by Tuesday morning, and Jeff and I were just giddy with the "what could be's". On Saturday, Kati and Aaron had some friends over, and invited Jeff and I to tag along for Karoke. Since the bars were smoke free as of January 1st, I was IN!

The night was a lot of fun, and we got back around 11:30. I woke up around 2am and went to the bathroom only to notice that I was bleeding... BAD. I woke up Jeff and after about a five minute debate, Jeff convinced me we needed to go to the ER. The ER doctor did an exam, and said that everything looked ok. He took my HCG levels and told me that I was on bedrest for at least a week. Perfect. One week in and I am already on bedrest for a week.



I had to go back to the doctor on Tuesday to get my counts retested. If they went up, the pregnancy would continue, if not, well... we tried not to think of the other. The bleeding had stopped by Monday night, and I never felt crampy. SO many people were so kind to us. Bringing us dinner, calling me, just trying to make us feel better. I went back to the doctor on Tuesday, and had my bloodwork drawn, and I went home. Wednesday I got up and went to the bathroom and noticed a big clot...I thought for SURE that I had miscarried. I cried, called Jeff at work, and then called my doctor. Jeff came home and my doctor scheduled me for an ultrasound at the hosiptal that day. The doctor did tell us that the counts HAD gone up on Tuesday, so we knew there was some hope, but we weren't very optimistic.

On the way to the hosiptal, Jeff and I cried. I called my mom at work and told her that I thought for SURE that I miscarried. We talked, and scheduled a drink fest for Friday night. I went to the hospital and when we were called back to the room, I told the technician that we weren't expecting to hear good news, and we were already prepared for that. She told us that she would be as honest as she could be and turned on the little monitor.

Now, I am no doctor... but as soon as she turned on the machine, I could see something.... and then when she zoomed in, I could see that that something HAD A HEARTBEAT. I.WAS.FLOORED. Jeff and I looked at the screen in disbelief! She told us that everything looked perfect for little peanut. She couldn't see any reason for the bleeding. She sent the results to the doctor and we had to wait to talk to him via phone. While we waited, the ultrasound tech printed out this first picture for us...

I called my mom and cancelled our little drink fest. She was also shocked. I was placed on bedrest for another week. My doctor's explanation? "Sometimes these things happen, and all they do is scare the hell out of us." Um, if that isn't the understatement of the year. I went back to the doctor on Tuesday January 22nd, and was given the all clear to return to normal duty. Baby looked good, I looked good, and I was given the due date of September 10th. Phew!



Everything went fairly well until my next appointment, which was February 22nd, 2008. Now, it should be known that a few VERY stressful things happend in this month.
1. We found out my Dad had a girlfriend.
2. My school had voted to go on strike.
So, I went to my appointment and everything was totally fine! They found the heartbeat, life was good, and I went to go home. When I stopped to go to the bathroom, I noticed I was bleeding AGAIN and ALOT. I went right back in the exam room and he did an internal exam. The cervix was still closed, and looked good, but I had a clot ( a big one) and he took it out and sent it off for examination. He then said he wanted me to have an ultrasound.. So I went off and had an ultrasound.. The baby looked GREAT. It had a great heartbeat, and was moving freely around in there. The uterus looks normal and they had NO idea why I kept bleeding. I was put on bedrest AGAIN and was told that if we did go on strike that I was to ABSOLUTELY NOT go outside and pickett. They wanted me at home in as little stress as possible. Well, we did go on strike...

But, I stayed home. I was HEARTBROKEN over the strike. I cried when I had to leave my classroom. People I cared about were pissed, it was A W F U L. I was still spotting here and there, but for the most part the bleeding had stopped. After three days on strike, the union called a meeting. We ratified a contract. We went back to work... and wouldn't you know it, I NEVER had another problem with bleeding...

The next few appointments were fine! The doctors were really pleased with everything that was going on. I had lost three pounds in the first trimester....and was only up two by April.

On May 7th we would find out if we were having a boy or girl... and also get the news that we had a whole NEW set of problems...

5 comments:

Jen said...

Boy oh boy! I didn't realize you had all those scared in the beginning! I had spotting with Addie and with this pregnancy and they never determined where it came from. It is AMAZING how much that can stress a girl out :-) I am anxiously awaiting your next installment :-)

A day in the life of the Wiettings said...

WOW! I remember you telling me this as it was happening, but now it seems so overwhelming! My pregnancy stories are so short. Someday I will post them. Maybe when he is a year I will do both the kids. You and Jen both inspire me!

Sugar and Spice said...

HI! I saw your comment on Mckmama! I wanted to share my website with you: Sugarandspice1.etsy.com
I will be donating a portion of all sales to the String of pearls to help families and babies like Stellan! I am trying to get it out there in any way I can! Please let your family, friends etc. I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!! :)
-lexi
Sugarandspice4baby.blogspot.com

k said...

I love reading your blog!!! Sounds like you had quite the memorable pregnancy. Glad things worked out for the better and you have that wonderful child! :)

Emily Beal said...

I'm waiting for more installments! :)